Marengo, IL – Custodial workers are considered essential workers by the CDC.
Because of this, we need to take even more steps to protect their health, starting with the trucks, vans, and cars these workers drive every day to get to and from job sites.
The big concern is the interiors of these work vehicles, which can become soiled and contaminated. In most work vehicles, these are the seven “hot spots” to focus on:
- Steering wheel
- Cup holders
- Seat belts
- Door handles
- Gear shift knobs
- Turn signal knobs
- Radio buttons.
To keep these hot spots clean and safe, Rick VanderKoy, CEO of Secure Clean, a leading building service contractor based in Illinois, suggests the following:
- Make sure workers wash their hands before driving vehicles and again before beginning work.
- All hot spot areas should be cleaned and disinfected daily.
- If vinyl areas are to be cleaned, apply the solution to a test area first. “A cleaning solution with a very low or very high pH could discolor the surface.”
- Apply cleaning and disinfecting “best practices” to these hot spots as well. “Clean first and then disinfect. Also, adhere to dwell times and proper dilution.”
- If vehicles have recently been serviced, all these steps must be implemented before the vehicle is put back into service.
- Equipment used every day and stored in the vehicle should also be cleaned and disinfected daily. “We need to keep our tools clean; it shows we are professionals. But now we must also disinfect the high-touch areas of those machines.”
- Containers in which tools are kept are also frequently touched: this means that storage containers in the vehicle must also be cleaned and disinfected.
“Another consideration is the number of people in the vehicles at one time,” adds VanderKoy. “Right now, it is best to have only two people in work vehicles at the same time, [and] both should be wearing gloves and masks.”
More guidance for essential workers can be found here.
About Secure Clean
Secure Clean Building Services, Inc., in business since 1974, is one of the leading commercial janitorial companies in the Greater Chicago area. We offer a full range of services for companies including Secure Clean Building Services, Inc., in business since 1974, is one of the leading commercial janitorial companies in the Greater Chicago area. We offer a full range of services for companies including Nissan Forklift, Snap-on Tools, Sonoco Alloyd, several Northwestern Medical facilities, and various local area banks, industrial facilities, schools, and medical buildings.
Family owned and operated, we’ve built a solid foundation on cost-effective, high quality and reliable cleaning management. Our services are provided by trusted, accountable employees (not subcontractors) who take pride in bringing a clean environment to both your visitors and employees. We are committed to bringing you top quality service, with peace of mind, to fulfill all your commercial cleaning and maintenance needs.
For more information, visit https://www.securecleanbsi.com or call 888-609-1410.